Friday, October 25, 2013

Blogger's Quilt Festival

Blogger's Quilt Festival: Worst Fears Made Beautiful

This is my entry for the Bloggers Quilt Festival!

When I first started free motion quilting last December I knew that I wanted to design my own quilt.  This is the result of those thoughts. 

First step was drawing it out on a large scale.  I don't know why I was so drawn to the spiral look, it was so appealing to me at the time.


The second step I did was to design the background.  I wanted to incorporate some of my favorite free motion quilting designs that I had been practicing. These are pictured below. 


My idea of ocean currents.  Idea I got from Leah Day
Stippling in between the designs. 
Fun circles! These are one of my favorites to do!
My version of Mctavishing. 
Background of quilt complete.  These funky designs worked well together! 
    After the background of the quilt was complete the fun of working on each of the separate parts of the trapplique piece.  I did a different design for each of the sections.  This was a time consuming effort but it was well worth it!                                               

Satin stitching down the pieces. 
Pre-binding shot.  With all the quilting on this quilt I did have a difficult time with making it 100% square. 

Close up design. 
Overall this was a fun quilt to do.  I entered it into the state fair and won third place.  Even though it wasn't a first prize winner, I am very proud of it! Right now it is on our couch until I get a quilt hanger. 



Looking into the near future I am going to be making a quilt similar but perhaps a smaller size for my dear friend.


If you like my entry please go to Amy's Creative Side and vote for my quilt! 
Thanks in advance and please feel free to leave a comment! 
Until next time,
Holly








5 comments:

  1. Your quilting look so pretty! It's nice to see a little more of the quilt and the process of making it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing quilting Holly. Great job winning 3rd place too. That is quite an accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ok - can we just talk about that quilting for a second?? WOW.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I sure do wish I could live inside your brain! This is just too cool! :-)

    ReplyDelete