Sunday, January 5, 2014

First finish

First finish of the New Year

I finally finished my first quilt of the new year.  Hard to believe that I have been free motion quilting for  a little over a year!  I still have a lot to learn but I am proud with what I have accomplished.  I am so grateful for all the bloggers out there that are helping and motivating people to become better at their craft.  Maybe one day I will do that as well.  
In the time that I have been doing this I feel its important to share what I have learned.
1.  I made the mistake with my first FMQ quilt of outlining everything before I filled it in.  I had so many puckers and my seam ripper became by best friend and nemesis. 
2.  I literally just jumped into FMQ.  I had never heard of it but I am so glad I found it or rather it found me!  
3. I don't usually practice before I put it on a panel or block.  If I feel I need extra practice I draw it out a couple of times.  Most of the time I go with the flow. (Eek!)
4. Chill out! A saying from my prime but it is very relevant.  I am my worst critic and often if there is a mistake I freak out!
5. Take advice from people for what it is, advice.  I often ponder over what I am doing is the "right" way to do it.  For example, while purchasing my go to thread the other day, the cashier asked me if I really wanted to get that thread.  So questioning myself I googled for best threads and if my thread was appropriate.  It took my husband telling me that I have been using this thread for as long as I had been quilting and there had not been complaints with color, damage etc.  I need to work on getting better at being more confident in my skills. 
6. Last one....well for today. I have found something that I love and I think I am good at.  I want this to be my craft, my trade and I am going to work hard to accomplish this. 

Latest finish is for a dear friend of mine that has been in and out of the hospital since last April. I made my own design and pattern.  I hope that she loves it!
Close up of FMQ. 
Used my walking foot for the border to add a little bit of a difference. 
Back of quilt.
I personally love the white star binding.  It breaks up the blue nicely!
Love me some clover clips!
Finished quilt! I loved making this one! 


Next blog I hope to share with you my progress for the baby quilt I need to have done by the end of the month.  Hope you have a great week!

Holly



1 comment:

  1. It's a beautiful quilt, I hope it brings some comfort to your friend and her family! Your quilting is amazing for only a year!

    ReplyDelete